153 Huffman Ave.
Huffman Ave. addresses
153 Huffman Ave.|
|Data||153 Huffman Ave|
|Parcel||R72 01210 0018|
© Zillow, Inc., 2006-2012.
What's a Zestimate?
Photographer: Susan Roper
Date taken: 2004/11/01
Setting: 153 Huffman Ave.,
Recorded by: Scott and Emily Weaver on 2004/12/01
History: The land and building material for the home was purchased from William Huffman in 1868 by Mary Belle Eaker for $2,237.50. The home was completed some time in 1872.
The Eaker Family was and still is well known to the City of Dayton. Mary Belle's father, William, was one of the founders of Woodland Cemetary. Her family made their money in Dayton through a mercantile business and several large purchses of land. At one time, William Eaker owned the Northeast corner of Main and Second, the Northwest corner of Third and Ludlow, several blocks south of Fifth Street and west of Ludlow.
Mary Belle Eaker after leaving her home on Huffman Avenue, moved to the Northwest corner of Third and Ludlow. Mary Belle was very active in a variety of philanthropic causes during her life. Upon her death, Ms. Eaker left her home at Third and Ludlow to the YMCA. The new building contructed upon that site was the second largest YMCA building in the world and opened in April of 1908. At that time it was valued at $500,000
Ms. Eaker sold her home at 153 Huffman to Albert Engle in 1884 for $800. Albert later married Sarah Custenborder and they had two children: Audrey M. Engle (born 1-16-1892 / died 3-1969) and Ellis Engle. Little is known about his wife Sarah, however, upon Albert's death in 1953 his children inherited the property. Ellis, a master woodworker, carved much of the intricate woodwork that you see today in the Historic Huffman Area. The home itself boast 2 handcarved fireplaces with original finish.
Audrey and Ellis, although brother and sister, did get along quite well. However, Audrey had a nasty habit of reaching for her gun in the middle of the night at the slightest of noise.
Therefore, Ellis decided (wisely) to move into the 2 story carriage house located toward the rear of the property. You can still find wallpaper and other homey touches in the carriage house today.
Ellis upon his death left the home to Audrey. Audrey who died without children left the home to her dearest friend Ruby Eck. Ruby, who never resided in the property, sold the home to Donald and Linda Slusher in September of 1969. Donald and Linda resided in the property happily for over 30 years.
Upon Don's death, Linda sold the property to Scott and Emily Weaver. Since their ownership, the exterior of the home has changed somewhat. Aluminum siding which was the standard in the 1960's to install has been removed to reveal handcarved wings and rosettes that had previously been hidden. Unfortunately, the slate roof was beyond repair and in the summer of 2005 was torn off in lieu of a more practical (and affordable) asphalt shingle.